I like to bet. I'm not a gambler by any means. I don't usually bet money and if I do it's a dollar (or a lev) and I usually never actually pay it. However, I do have a seriously lofty 200 leva bet going on at the moment involving some really boring books and a volunteer that I'm hoping is semi-illiterate. But the circumstances in which we shook on this particular bet are circumspect so I don't think he'll hold me to it when the time comes and he turns out to be the victor because I can't read Greek Mythology and stay awake at the same time. And if he does, I'll just avoid his calls and facebook posts til he gets the hint.
But, yeah, I like to bet. Like, who's gonna be the next to leave PC Bulgaria early? Whose gonna head back to the States defeated though able to drown their sorrows in In 'N Out and Taco Bell? Whose gonna pack it up cuz the Winter was too cold (I know what you're thinking), or the work was too challenging, or they simply realized that this wasn't the place for them afterall? I'm not saying I'll be happy to win. I don't really want anyone to leave, it just seems like an inevitability, you know? So why not make a bet of it, a positive spin, if you will? But I won't be happy. I might be a little happy - but I'll contain it. I like to win.
I especially like to bet with other people who like to bet. The type of person that I make wagers with so often that the second a remotely interesting opportunity presents itself in which we can say, "I'll bet you a dollar that (this) will happen," we instantly catch each others eye and give one another that knowing look: a bet is coming...
It's like "that's what she said," only better. Wait, no, not better. But it's close.
I also like to make bets about the volunteers that are going to end up together. Apparently, there is a 1 in 10 statistic which implies that at least 8 volunteers from our group will marry either a Bulgarian or another volunteer because of this Peace Corps adventure. That's pretty exciting and way too enticing to pass up, from a better's standpoint. Some people are already dating and seemingly in love which is sort of cheating so I like to choose those couple that aren't quite couples yet...but they will be...cuz I like to win. I won't mention any names but if I forget to bring a book on a train ride I sometimes play this game with myself. I'm really good at it.
I'm open to any other betting ideas if you have some!
-Age
No comments:
Post a Comment
There's always more to say about everything