Monday, October 18, 2010

Not Sure

I've been questioning myself a lot lately. Questioning why I'm here, why I can't get my students to listen to me, and how other volunteers may fair far better if they were in my school, my town, my situation instead of me. I have this “I don't have what it takes” feeling all the time and it's a heavy burden to carry down the streets of this small village all alone. See, the winter isn't even here yet and I'm already suffering from...depression?

No, it's not that serious. But sometimes I feel this overwhelming helpless feeling. When my seventh graders get so angry they throw chairs across the room, curse at me at the top of their lungs and storm at of my class and the Director has to intervene, I feel helpless. I literally have no idea what to do. I know what not to do. I don't panic. I don't yell back. I won't ever hit them and I still hesitate to lay anything but a friendly hand on my students. But what do I do?

When I've planned this great lesson where I dress up like a Baba and tell the students their fortunes in order to practice future continuous and two students rip their chairs apart and race them around the classroom like 5-year-olds and my counterpart gives them a 15 minute lecture in which they spend the majority of the time arguing with her at the top of their voices, what do I do? I stand there. I try to understand what's being said in rapid Bulgarian. I look apologetically towards the few students in the class who genuinely want to learn English but can't. I stand there. I do...nothing.

I want to do something. I want to know exactly what to do in that moment and execute it with the precision of a seasoned teacher who's been in this situation many times and knows exactly what needs to be done. Or I want to be one of those teachers that is just naturally good at this, a person whose presence commands attention and respect. I've had teachers like that, teachers who could bring me to tears with one disappointed look. I'd like these students to feel something at the idea of disappointing their teachers, something more than a shrug of the shoulders.

I definitely make the mistake of being too friendly, too buddy-buddy with the students. Teasing me becomes a game and while I know that there is a time and a place for such games and laughs the students have a difficult time differentiating between in the classroom and out of the classroom. It's sad that I may have to be serious all the time when I'm around them simply so they know I mean business when I'm in front of the white board but I'm less and less inclined to be their buddy anyway. The level of disrespect is really starting to take it's toll. I not only feel anger and frustration when they disrespect me but when they disrespect my counterpart or other teachers at the school. It's just awful. And, again, I don't know what to do.

I understand that I'm probably not the only one facing this. But it kinda feels like it. It's only been 4 weeks and I'm burnt out. If you'd told me 4 weeks ago this was going to happen, I wouldn't have believed you. Me? Burnt out? Never. I'm like the Enegizer Bunny. The Little Engine That Could. I can't burn out. Now, I'm not saying I'm gonna give up. That's something I won't do. But things are gonna change. I'm gonna focus more on secondary projects. I'm gonna reach out to those students who care. I'm gonna set an example while still maintaining an appropriate distance. I'm gonna read my Bible more. I know that seems unrelated but, for me, it isn't. I need His guidance. I need to feel that I'm not alone. That I'm being taken care of, watched over, that there is a reason I'm here. I mean, if this all really means nothing and we're just floating around in space, why would I feel the need to be here, in Bulgaria? I'd be in Tahiti or something. I'd work at a bar for 8 hours to make money and spend the rest of my time in a hammock waiting out the end in “happiness.”

Happiness, whatever that means, is achievable here, it just seems so far away right now. I don't want to be one of those teachers that holds her breath for Christmas vacation, who can't wait for the weekend so she can hop on a train and disappear. I need help. I don't think I can do this by myself. That's not easy for a girl like me to admit. But I'm not sure I can do this.

-Age

6 comments:

  1. You're already doing it. Sometimes it's as simple as putting one foot in front of the other. You should be very proud of yourself simply for being there. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetie you are not alone, I feel the same way about my 8th grade. They have started playing this game where the slap eachother's hand as hard as possiable, for no reason. I don't know why they just do. My 9th and 10th classes are my sanity but my week is spent mostly with those 8th graders. I don't yell at them ever but I say "tiho, sorry my computer doesn't type cryllic" very loudly in a tone that makes them stop. And this works for about 10 minutes. I tried having fun lessons but I realized I can't have fun lessons with a group of students who won't look foward at me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the other two. Hi, Josh Jacobs im a PCV over in Mongolia right now. I get the defiance like all others who try to teach those who come to my school for the sole purpose that its warmest there in my whole town. I wont hit my kids like my counterparts either and i know that. So what do you do....you do what you can. You realize your playing missile commander. This is not something your going to win at. Come to think of it your not supposed to win at. Your there to assist those interested in improving their knowledge and to demonstrate they way Americans handle those who would otherwise physically attack or abuse one another. Stand your ground, and realize that you inability to make your classroom Dead Poets Society is not what should send you home sad. By the by...winter is coming for us out here in Mongolia too. At least you guys have wine instead of Gods awful vodka!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there Age! I PROMISE you it gets better... and I wouldn't say that if it wasn't true for every single PCV here. It will never be "easy," but you WILL get your footing. :) And one day, you'll walk out of a class, and it will feel routine and normal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you guys for all the kind words, encouragement and advice. Everyone. It's been super helpful. I'm feeling a bit better about all this. I just need to get over the idea that not having a "reasonable" classroom everyday is a failure. It's not. I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally get what you mean babe! Just believe things will get better and count on your other volunteers to make things better!

    ReplyDelete

There's always more to say about everything