Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Awesome Things I Get To Do ('Get To' Being My Optimistic Spin On Things)

I have a lot of projects in the works right now. I'm trying to get as much done as possible before the winter hits and everything and everyone slows down. I still struggle with teaching as a team and trying to control a classroom full of undisciplined yet sweet and fun-loving students but I feel like that will get easier with time so I'm going to branch out and make this busy life even busier.
In a couple short weeks I'll be conducting a Halloween Fair at my school. Every student will be given the opportunity to skip their last period and join me and several other teachers who have volunteered their time to play games, carve pumpkins, bob for apples, eat tons of candy, and win awesome prizes. And, of course, dress up! The students seem to be most excited about the opportunity to wear costumes to school. The thing is, it's seems that every student I talk to is going to be...Pippy Longstalkings. I've fascinated to find out the reason why so many students have this costume. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Pippy. What girl who grew up in the 80's doesn't? But why? That's all I want to know. Why?
 
My adult English class is going strong as well. We're about halfway through the lengthy lessons I have planned and my students are staying positive and punctual. We've moved that class up a half an hour and cut it down from 2 ½ hours to only 2 because it's getting dark so soon but we should be finished by early December. I'm excited to see how their language progresses. I don't get the impression they practice at home much but, hey, neither do my students. Not to mention, I can't remember the last time I practiced Bulgarian at home. That's one of my winter plans, to really buckle down and increase my language skills because they have not got much better since the end of PST and I'm a little worried.



I've also recently started a girls' volleyball team. We practice every Thursday afternoon in the recently refurbished gym next to our school. There are almost 20 girls which is entirely too many but I have a feeling the numbers will dwindle when they realize they actually have to take this seriously. The first practice was absolute chaos. The teenage boys from our school had heard about it and wanted to “watch”. I didnt' believe that for a second and told them no but they snuck anyway and spent the first 30 minutes making my life hell. Eventually I found another teacher to yell at them in Bulgarian and make them leave. The children really are not used to being told what to do, they seem to assume that free reign is their priveledge so needless to say, they were pissed. It was kinda funny actually. I was then allowed to conduct practice. Oh, wait. No. My collection of 5th, 6th, and 7th grade girls decided they were going to conduct practice. They had no patience for my limited Bulgarian and decided to start a game on their own. I threw up my hands, told them they obviously didn't need me and that I would just watch and maybe go home since I was tired anyway. I watched for maybe 3 minutes as they smacked the ball towards the floor and each others' faces before they asked me to come back and coach them properly. I told them that if I saw anymore attitude, they could leave. The practice went smoothely from there. After an hour. Sigh. Hopefully next practice I'll be able to get the chaos controlled within the first 30 minutes. High hopes, I know.

I'll also be writing a request for 100 pounds of free books from an organization in the US I recently heard about. I'm pretty excited about this and hope to use these books to get my lower students back up to the appropriate level as well as to challenge my students who really go above and beyond (though there are far fewer of those students, unfortunately).



I'm hoping by December, or the first snowfall, whichever comes first, to have all of this checked off the list of Awesome Things I Get To Do As A Peace Corps Volunteer. And then I'll take a much needed break. I'm thinking Italy. Seriously, plans are being made and I may just spend the New Year in my favorite country!!! Cross your fingers that it all works out!

-Age

3 comments:

  1. Wow, as hard as all of this sounds,what you're doing is still really amazing! Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooooh I want to go to Italy!

    ReplyDelete

There's always more to say about everything