Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bold as a Lion

I’ve never really been challenged in my life. In many ways I’ve been very blessed. However, because of this, I have not been tested. I’ve never had any really defining moments in which my character or values were being put to the test. No opportunity for me to say, “Hey, that’s not right,” or “this is what I believe to be true.”

I want to make sure that when those moments come I do not sit passively by. I want to know that I would stand up for what I believe in, be my own voice.

Recently, a woman I seriously underestimated stood up for what was right. She was so self-possessed, so sure of what needed to be done and did not hesitate to put herself in an uncomfortable situation and say, “This cannot happen and I will not let it happen.”

The greatest thing about it, she was standing up for someone else. She was being a voice for a child who needed her help. I know this sounds very vague. It’s work-related and I can’t really go into it but let’s just say that she did what was right in a difficult situation. That’s true character right there.

I want to do the same. I have lived a very privileged life. I have a voice. I have character. I have opinions and values and I will stand up for what is right and what is true. I want to lend that voice to others. I want to stand up for those that need my help, whose voices are more like whispers, ignored or unheard.

I don’t have to be afraid. I know what’s right and only good can come from being an advocate of courage, compassion, and conviction. Just like she did.

I want to remind myself every day that I can be “as bold as a lion.”

Thank you, Lord, for my many blessings. I don’t deserve them but I am so grateful. I know you have a plan for my life, please give me the strength and wisdom necessary do your will.

-Age

3 comments:

  1. hi adrienne!
    i just found your blog through 20SB and am pretty excited i did!
    i am so jealous that you are able to join the peace corps(as a Canadian, it's a no go for me) and your writing is really beautiful.

    this post spoke to me hugely! i have also been pretty lucky to never have to personally face any huge injustices, and for that i am so grateful. but, like you, i also fear faltering when the time does come for me to use my voice. it is a noble persuit to be the voice to the voiceless. i know that we both will have the strength.

    love&light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jodes! I'm glad this post spoke to you. I mostly wrote it as a reminder to myself. I'm not very assertive and I want that to change. No more passive Adrienne! I know you'll be able to lend your voice too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an excellent reminder. It's important for those of us that have been blessed to speak out for those that can't do so for themselves. I too struggle with being seen as not assertive enough, but I'm trying to work on it. :)

    ReplyDelete

There's always more to say about everything