Thursday, April 1, 2010

Making This Big World Smaller...Or the Other Way Around

So this new “The World is My Oyster” map thing I’ve recently added to the top of my page is pretty cool. I just noticed that someone from Bulgaria visited. That makes me a little nervous actually. The first thing I did was read over my last several posts to see if I wrote anything potentially offensive. I would never do anything like that on purpose but being a “foot in mouth” kinda girl, I figured I should check.

I think I’m OK. Hopefully.

It’s pretty amazing how technology can link people from all over the world. And so quickly. I can read about a girl’s educational struggles in Pakistan one moment and the next be reading a hysterical comic strip about fish.

This not only opens our world to different people and different cultures, it allows us to open ourselves up to a very broad range of interests. I can enjoy satirical blogs full of dry humor and wit, I can learn more about life in Africa, I can see pictures of vacations taken all over Northern Europe, and I can learn about other Peace Corps volunteers and how their lives are changing.

I’m able to cater to every different aspect of my personality and life with just a few clicks of the mouse. No matter my mood, no matter the time of day, no matter the topic, it’s all there. At our fingertips.

The world is a big place and we have so short a time to experience and enjoy it.

I can’t wait to really get started.

-Age

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking, and I guess I could google it more, but maybe I'm a dummy, but what exactly are you going to be doing in the Peace Corps? You should post about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's a great idea. I'll do just that today! It's Peace Corps Thursday!

    ReplyDelete

There's always more to say about everything