Saturday, March 6, 2010

Tell Me You Love Me

So, when I started this blog I wrote with the expectation that no one would ever read it. I was interested in writing as a career and my friends suggested I started a blog to get my writing out there. I didn’t even know what a blog was.

I was reading Freshness Factor Five Thousand for years without even realizing it was a blog.

When I started this blog, I wrote article-like posts about positive and influential people I knew because I wanted to write human interest pieces for newspapers, magazines, or websites as a profession. The posts were heartfelt and, well, boring. But I didn’t care. My writing was out there and I genuinely enjoyed it.

Then the comments came.

It was only a few at first. I would sneak in a funny post about my life just for fun and people would leave comments. I instantly fell in love with this. Not only did it prove that some people, very few, were actually reading this, but they had opinions about it!

That may have been my downfall.

Downfall is the wrong word. I actually love writing fun topics about life and adventure. I don’t plan to stop. However, I’m no longer unaffected by feedback. I need it.

But my followers list is still pretty low and I don’t get a ton of comments. Though, I’d argue that my comments are better than anyone else’s. Yup.

So, it was really just perfect timing when I read this post from one of my favorite bloggers, Hipstercrite:

Twelve Ways to Boost Your Blog Traffic (Without Having to Get Naked)

Ironically, #12 was all about getting naked. Posting a picture of your butt which is something she does often which, as readers, we appreciate. A fun butt picture is sometimes exactly what I need after a long day.

All jokes aside, I think her steps are really helpful and I plan on implementing many of them. But before I do…

Here’s a picture of my butt:



Your welcome.

Post-posting edit: So, seriously, that is not my butt. I googled "booty shorts" and this was the first picture. If you were to google booty shorts right now (which you might want to wait to do until you get home from work and when your girlfriend/wife is not around) you could get over a million search results and not a one of those pictures would be of me. Promise. Though this lady has a lovely butt and should in no way be ashamed to come up first on google images.

-Age

8 comments:

  1. Now the odd part is, I clicked on your FB post because I was confused why there was a butt picture. Needless to say, I did not come here for butts and was more surprise that I just saw your butt.

    That being said, your post was very sincere and very well reflected on how bloggers feel. Comments are GREAT! It is a bummer that there are times as a blogger, comments are few and far between. On a post you wrote that you think is fantastic, you only get a few comments. While a post you think is crap, gets a whole bunch of comments. Blog readers are weird.

    Either way, don't be bummed that you're readership is small. I think it's a blessing because you can better communicate with them.

    That being said, as a first time reader, I would like to say hi. No need for more butt pictures, but they are surely welcomed. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am following you now thanks to hipstercrite's blog, so it worked already :)

    And yeah, I feel ya, kind of funny how I consider myself a buddhist blogger who struggles with attachments (and a wicked hankering for an ex boyfriend) and most days I think- Why aren't people reading me damnit!

    yep... I can be a hypocrite with my own blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished reading that post by Hipstercrite - excellent advice. I too share your need for comments and followers. It's like when you were in grade school and you desperately needed to get a good grade and recognition. I write for me, because it's what I love to do but after receiving feedback and comparing my blog to others you can't help but be a tad envious of those with hundreds of followers. You'll reach this point someday, it's just a slow process sometimes... hopefully that butt picture will help speed things up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hypocrisy runs rampant on my blog, Magpie, so don't worry, you're not alone.

    Kim! I had 14 followers for months then I put that butt picture up and now I have 19. It's been 6 hours. At this rate, I should have 1,000 by, what, next Thursday? Sex sells, apparently. Though I'd gladly trade 1,000 followers for a butt like that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way! I guess that's just how bloggers are. Once we get that first comment and first follower, we're addicted. We want comments! We want followers! We want LOTS of comments! We want LOTS of followers!

    Now I get bummed if I get 6 comments on a blog post when I used to get SO.FREAKING.EXCITED to have 1! Sometimes, I miss that. Just blogging to blog, not to gain comments/followers. It's a more simpler way, I guess.

    But the comments are wonderful, the friendships I've made are amazing, and I like writing for people. So I'll keep blogging and hoarding comments/followers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, me too, Stephany. I think blogging is so much more fun when it's shared with friends like you guys. It's so nice to know that there are similar people out there in the world that are interested in making a connection. Post-comment blogging is much more awesome than just blogging to blog though arguably more self-promoting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could have really used this post 2 weeks ago as I have been walking around naked in the frikin cold with a sandwhich board sign that says read my blog. So what you are telling me is this is NOT getting me readers? Man, this is news to me. I think I will take your advice but still remain HALF naked as a precaution. Ya dig? Yea. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can never go wrong with half naked. As long as it's the right half...get it? Sorry.

    ReplyDelete

There's always more to say about everything