So, St. Patrick's Day is coming up which, naturally, brought to mind my heritage. It's all a bit muddy and my parents change their story every time I talk to them and I'm too lazy and generally uninterested to FamilyTree.com myself but I know it looks something like this:
1/4 English
1/4 Irish
1/4 German
1/4 Polish
Little bit of Sioux Native American tossed in there somewhere
Basically, I'm American.
Sad to say, I'm very unfamiliar with my heritage and the majority of these cultures.
Though, I think America has created it's own culture of containing and accepting many cultures. We are so unique in our ability to participate in a variety of cultural activities that may or may not have something to do with our own.
I know this is true thoughout the country but particularly here in Southern Cali there is a plethora of opportunities to get to know the world and our neighbors.
In Palms Springs there are several Native American museums educating all interested on the various tribes that lived, and still live, in the area. There are also art and craft workshops so we can physically understand the culture and even take it home with us.
In San Diego, one of my favorite areas is Little Italy. Generations of Italian immigransts have moved to this beautiful area offering their food, arts, language, religion, and family-oriented culture to all. And, yes, they actually speak Italian which is so beautiful! And the men aren't bad to look at either.
In LA, there's Little China, a very popular tourist destination as the slightly commercialized culture is available in shops and sidewalk carts all along this colorful downtown nook. The cuisine is generally authentic and while not necessarily delicious to all, definetely interesting.
LA is really just full of amazing cultural opportunities from all over the world.
One of the things LA offers that encourages cultural pursuits is The Museum of Tolerance. In this unique place, we learn a little of Jewish culture but, mainly, we learn the importance of promoting tolerance, acceptance, and love.
By showcasing what hate looks like and what it is capable of, this museum paints a vivid and often graphic picture of what we should avoid at all costs - the Museum of Tolerance also shows that a lack of interest or knowledge in other people and culutures can breed ignorance. And ignorance can make almost anyone fall prey to charming and dynamic words, no matter how evil.
I have adopted the American idea of, not the melting pot, but the tossed salad. While fondu's can be fun, they're messy. We don't want to all melt together in sameness and complete assimilation. It's better to keep our identities, cultures, and beliefs while all living together in peace and compassion.
Knowledge and love make a beautiful pair.
For more articulated and well thought out ideas then my own ramblings, visit, and hopefully join, Charter for Compassion.
Tell me about your culture and what cultural opportunities are in your neck of the woods.
-Age
I stayed in LA for like a week once when I was traveling with the University of Kansas Men's Glee Club(!) We were in what we were calling "China Town," over by the central train station, staying in a Day's Inn whose main entrance was in a back alley. It was uber classe, but I've never had such delicious Asian cuisine.
ReplyDeleteI always thought I was mostly Irish because my dad is nuts about our Irish heritage. It's a super big deal in my family. And only somewhat recently did I learn that I might only actually be about 12.5% Irish... So I don't know what to do with all the Irish pride I've assumed over my life, but to run with it. I'm Irish by choice more than blood.
I'm also the most proud of my Irish background and flaunt it more than any other (I'm not really sure what I meant by "flaunt" - wearing green maybe? I don't know). Why is that? What is it with Ireland, huh? The accent? Red hair? Green eyes? I don't have any of those things.
ReplyDeleteum cause ireland is the best!!! we will be having a full blown irish fest in hedley on march 17th!! cornbeef cabbage the whole nine yards... guinness and some whiskey too!!! your welcome to join us!!
ReplyDelete