I guess I just answered my own question.
This is probably as sexy as it gets for me.
A Man’s Man.
A Bad Boy (Yes, I'm aware he's here twice)
The type of guy who works with his hands and has punched someone full on the face at least once and not even necessarily for a good reason. The type of guy who doesn’t smoke on a regular basis but looks at home with a cigar. He loves his dog – Ty or Old Roy or Chief. Once, he drove cross-country on his Ducati just to feel the wind on his face.
Although this is the type of guy that sums up the epitome of sexy for me, it’s not the type of man I would want to marry or spend forever with or anything.
No.
That man laughs – full force – at anything funny. He’s dorky and wears glasses and reads a lot. He’s passionate about what he does. He’s sexy cuz he loves me. He forgives easily. He acts like a 5-year-old when appropriate. He likes people but isn’t afraid of being alone. He loves kids (not in a creepy way). He doesn’t make us get a dog cuz he knows I don’t like them (which is why I buy him one for our 10-year anniversary – then “accidentally” leave the backyard gate open cuz I remember that I don’t like them – then have “I’m a horrible wife/person, let me make it up to you” sex every night for a year cuz I feel really guilty). We have the same values – he loves Jesus too! We go to church together and discuss the Bible but occasionally sleep-in Sunday mornings and watch movies in bed cuz we know God will forgive us. He brings an extra bag of canned goods to the church food-drive the next Sunday cuz he feels bad. He doesn’t hold grudges. He’s not afraid to be affectionate. He isn’t perfect – there are things that drive me crazy – but he more than makes up for it by making me giggle. He loves The Office, Parks and Rec, Arrested Development, and Modern Family. He hates Keeping up with the Kardashians but still manages to watch the whole episode and get into long, fiery debates with me about how long Chloe and Lamar are gonna last and how Kim’s voice makes her far less hot than she seems with her mouth closed.
I haven’t met this man yet. I’m just saying.
I see ruggedly handsome and I think, “yes.”
I meet goofy and charming and I think, “Oh, that’s right. YES.”
First comes experiencing life, then comes knowing what you want, than comes dating, then comes love, then comes marriage, then…you know the rest. I’m probably still years away but I’m glad to finally know that I can spot a keeper when I meet one.
Scared to imagine what I would’ve chosen if I’d married young like some of my friends. Gosh, he’d probably say “that’s ill” and “hey, babe, wanna watch me play Grand Theft Auto?”
No, instead I’m joining the Peace Corps and postponing all that romantic nonsense for a later date. Hoping that right guy will still be around and still be nerdy.
Though, every one of my friends and family is convinced I’ll be married to some Eastern European before the two years is complete. That is not at all my intention. I find it highly unlikely. But you never know…
Here’s to hoping my future last name is one I can be proud of…even if I find it difficult to spell.
The current most popular guy names in the Ukraine:
Oleksander, Danylo, Maksym, Vladyslav, Mykyta, Artem, Ivan, Kyrylo, Yegor, Illya, Andriy, Oleksiy, Bohdan, Denys, Dmytro, and Yaroslav.
Think they have any of these in Eastern Europe?
-Age






oh adrienne... I know you will find a love like a "jim & pam" love someday soon!!! on the last names I vote for Adrienne Oleksiy!! it has a nice ring to it
ReplyDeleteThanks! Yup, Jim to my Pam would be perfect! Hope everything is well with you guys - remember, save up for Greece 2011!
ReplyDeleteSo I find it funny that a week after we agreed to be each other's 90-year-old backup spouses that you would write a blog about me.
ReplyDeleteRuggedly handsome? How's 5'8" with a patchy blonde beard that comes in awkwardly do for you?
Actually here's what I really wanted to comment on. I've had my eyes out for sweet, intelligent girls who are looking for goofy dorks like me and it's interesting, it seems whenever I find one, she always turns out to be very religious. Which, to me, is fine and great! I can get on board with that. I can be supportive and get the kids up for church and do the reading them Bible stories thing. I did 12 years of Catholic school and I know the drill. But they can't seem to get on board with me being not quite so religious. Inevitably what happens is they rip my heart out and stomp on it with the fiery fervor of their Old Testament God. And it hurts.
Over the summer, I dated this girl I thought I was destined to marry and am still shaken up about it a little bit. It's just interesting that the Faith thing keeps popping up in my face
I'm sorry about the whole heart stomping thing -- that sucks. I've never really had my heart stomped on but it sounds painful.
ReplyDeleteThe thing is, with religion, if it's worth it's salt, if it actually means what it's supposed to mean in the grand scheme of things, then it should be the #1, most important, nothing above it aspect of a persons' life. If that's true, and my, I mean, a girls', relationship with God is more important than any other relationship in their lives, including marriage, than it makes sense that they would want their significant other to feel the same.
If your priorities and passions don't align, despite the fact that she's sweet and intelligent and you're dorky and awesome, than it's probably not gonna work. Or maybe it will work, but one of those relationships mentioned will suffer. There will be heartbreak...for someone. It just seems inevitable to me.
I don't think girls should beat up your heart Old Testament-style as some sort of "I have to marry a Christian" rule but they should keep in mind that it will be difficult in the long run. Plus, kids are smart, they'll know if dad doesn't fully believe what he's saying. All I'm saying is, it could be tricky, very tricky (I didn't mean to sound like Elmer Fudd just then)
This is the part where I've been mulling over it for a few hours and not getting any work done (there really wasn't much work to get done - all the kiddies were celebrating Valentine's/Pajaman day and all I had to do was respond to "Ms Adrienne, have a cookie" and, of course, I said, "OKAY!")
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I just want to tell you that maybe God (the real one - from the Old Testament which no one reads anymore, try the New one) is trying to tell you something. He's very fond of you, you know.
Catholic school is interesting. What was that like?