But, the thing is, I get paid next to nothing. I often joke with my friends that I don't get paid in money but in smiles and baby kisses. I LOVE holding babies. Especially the part when they start crying or smelling and I can just give them back.
"Here, you go. He needs to be changed I think....excuse me? You think I should change him since I've been spoiling him for the last hour. Oh, no. I don't think so, I have very important and pressing work to do. Those phones aren't going to answer themselves. By the way, you may want to wear gloves, I think it's going to be a doozy."
AND, sometimes, I get to watch kids while they nap! Yes, that was meant to be sarcastic. Whenever I watch kids nap while their normal teacher goes on lunch, I always wish there was a giant-sized cot for me to sleep on too. This very soothing classical music is playing, there are soft, little snores coming from every direction, the room is cozy and warm and I...just...feel...like...zzzzzzzz.
But the one thing that redeems this time of day...art.
Yes, art. And not just any art. 2-year-old art. The range of these little masterpeices astounds me. Here, look:
It's winter time in Southern California. The weather is a chilly 68 degrees so, naturally, they made penguins as an art project. The teacher's pre-cut the shapes, show the kids what the penguin looks like all put togeher, hand them a glue stick, and then the kids go to town.
I want to highlight some of my favorites.
Perky Penguin
Pavarotti Penguin
Picasso Penguin
I couldn't think of the right P-word to describe this one (Oh, wait, just did, but it's not at all appropriate) though I think he's my favorite.
You know how kids say the darndest things? They also glue that darndest things. And why should we censor them? No, let's hang that on the wall and call it genius. Absolute penguin genius.
-Age
HAHAHA, talk about blast from the past with that one. My mom ran a daycare while I was a kid and would always cut out the shapes and have kids glue them together which was always interesting.. and your captions are amazing!!
ReplyDeleteI totally didn't know you worked at a preschool! I do, too, and I love it. I work with the 2-year-olds and have the BEST EVER preschool teacher in there with me. It's a fun job, a challenging job, and a hard job. But those hugs and kisses and "I lub you"'s and dance parties and fake lunches they make for me make it all worthwhile. It's pretty awesome.
ReplyDeleteVery cool, Stephany. I've always thought day-care teacher's get the short end of the stick in so many ways. It takes a very patient and special person to be able to take care of all those little ones, so much work goes into it. Bravo!
ReplyDelete