Ever notice how fortune cookies nowadays aren’t actually fortunes, it’s more like advice:
“Do not mistake temptation for opportunity”
“He who throws dirt is losing ground”
I’m not saying this isn’t good advice it’s just, Dude, if I wanted some words of wisdom I’d ask an old person…probably an old Chinese person would be best but when it comes to what comes outta my cookie (that sounded dirty, sorry), I want something potentially prophetic!
I say potentially for a reason: I don’t actually think “a mysterious and handsome stranger will enter my life in the next week” but I’d like to think it’s possible, you know. Isn’t there some crap going around about visualizing what you want and what you’d like to be in order to increase your chance of success? Some kind of Secret that’s not a secret anymore? Whatever.
I’ve mentioned in the past that I naïvely believe too strongly in different sayings and turns-of-phrase. Same goes for fortune cookies. I genuinely enjoy the idea that these mass-produced, little strips of American-invented, commercialized paper might actually hold the key to all my future happiness. Why? Cuz I’m lazy and I’d much rather let Fate do all the work. Why lift a finger when I can just crack open a cookie – and then eat it (Wow, dirty! Again, I’m sorry)
OK.
Here’s where it gets good (if you just said, “finally!” – bite me twice):
That’s right, Ladies and Gentlemen, I received an actual fortune. And not just any fortune – the best possible fortune one could imagine. I’ve been carrying around this fragile piece of paper in my wallet for years now. Years. And now I’m going to the Peace Corps and Europe! See!
Just to keep a clean conscience in all of this – to me, Fate is God and He is in control. I just sometimes get carried away with romantic ideas of Destiny, Fate, Kismet, and Luck. I love four-leaf clovers, horseshoes, and making shooting star wishes. It’s so…optimistic!
I think all of this boils down to Hope. My favorite word. Where would I be without it? I’d rather not consider the possibilities. But I do know that Hope is taking my feet to new soil soon!
-Age
That's a great fortune! I don't think I've ever received a real fortune. I did, however,receive one that said: "Warning: Do not eat fortune."
ReplyDeleteThat's really, really, really cool and I think it's so awesome that you kept this fortune and it's been at the back of your mind all this time!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the Peace Corps!
(Also, I stopped by from 20SB!)
Tina - That's pretty funny - who would do that?
ReplyDeleteStephany - Yes! I saw your comments and I am now following your blog - so far I think I'm gonna love it! And thanks, I'm very excited about my new adventures :)