I cannot make it through the day without caffeine, my drug of choice. But I do not consider myself hindered by this addiction. I like to think of Diet Coke as a friend and, like many people, I rely on our friendship to make it through the daily grind. In the life of an on-the-go American it can help with the most common of obstacles. Tired? Diet Coke. Headache? Diet Coke? A three hour meeting on the history of boring by Mr. Boss Man? My old companion, Diet Coke.
I’ll never forget the first time. I was at the beach, it was hot, and I was rather parched. I opened the lid of the ice chest and was instantly blinded by a bright reflecting light. As I looked down, I did not see the neon of the lemon-lime drinks I had grown accustomed to, but the shining silver of my first Diet Coke. The moment the bubbles hit my nose I knew this was no ordinary soda. Once the sharp sweetness hit the back of my throat I no longer had to wander through the world of your average, caffeine deprived beverages. I was home.

I have gone an entire day without Diet Coke. The consequences were far from pretty. I can become extremely grumpy. Snapping at family and friends at the slightest provocation is a common occurrence when I am going through caffeine withdrawals. The lack of Diet Coke causes me to become lethargic as well, I lose all focus without my daily fix. Not to mention the headaches. Those who are addicted to caffeine often suffer from nagging headaches that can last for days and I am no exception. Don’t you see why I need Diet Coke?
If you want more proof, if you are still not convinced that I am merely a victim of this very real addiction then please listen to what my friends, “The Researchers,” have to say, “Caffeine is the most popular and widely consumed drug in the world.” This means I’m not the only one, a comforting thought. But I fear that the recent use of the word “drug” when referring to caffeine will lead to one disastrous outcome: caffeine prohibition. If this were to take place, my future as a bootlegger would be sealed.
Adrienne, thanks for stopping by blog the other day. Your comment cracked me up.
ReplyDeleteI'd be pissed without my diet coke toom hang in there ;( they said it goes after a while and you'll get used to it in a week or two :(
ReplyDeleteps. I noticed you're a blog friend / reader of Cheryl from Confession Of Twenty Something Years Old. Me and a bunch of friends are trying to get her to be featured in 20SB for February. She's awesome, right? So if you have an account in 20-Something Bloggers please help vote for her. All you have to do is visit here and write "I vote for Cheryl from Confession Of Twenty-Something Years Old" or "I second this nomination" :D
thanks so much before, I hope you participate!