Not so.
I learned a fun trick from a friend of mine named Charlie: you measure the success of your humor on a percentage-based scale. By giving yourself a certain percentage you also give yourself margain for error. This way, when no one laughs or, gasp, they get offended, it's OK, you just chalk that up to the amount of time you're allowed to be un-funny.
Get it? In the States, I tried to be funny about 70% of the time. So that 30% was always there to keep my self-esteem in check.
"So then the guy was like, 'That's not my leg, that's a popsicle stick!'"
----------------------------------
(OK. That one's gonna really take a toll on today's average...)
But, in Bulgaria, I've decided to bump it down to 45%. You know, to be fair to myself. Things can get lost in translation and blank stares after what I consider to be a funny joke can kinda make you wanna cry. But now that it's 45%, I'm back in the game!
Also, Katelyn (one of my satellite group members) is a Theater Major. Have you ever tried to compete for laughs with a Theater Major? Not easy. She's skilled in the art of monologuing and using her body and facial expressions to take a story from funny to FUNNY. Maybe I should make it 35% just while I'm here in T----.
Personally, I think the majority of our time should be spent in laughter, having a great time just being alive. Too much seriousness makes you ugly. It's definetely bad for the complexion at least.
You remember what happened to the girl who was too serious for too long, don't you?
She died, People.
Oh, and just FYI, the word "die" in Bulgarian means "give me." So if someone in Bulgaria reaches out to you with both hands and says "die" over and over again, they're not trying to kill you. Common mistake. But just to be on the safe side, you should probably give them whatever you're holding. Immediately.
I'm gonna try and upload pictures soon (my internet's not being too friendly when it comes to uploading pictures) but here's a fun one of the pregnant donkey that serves as a street sign for me. "turn right at the pregnant donkey...turn right at the pregnant donkey..."
And here's us at the fireworks show to honor Hristo Botev (I've already written a post about this Bulgarian National Hero/Guy from The Hangover look-alike):
-Age
No comments:
Post a Comment
There's always more to say about everything