When someone listens well it’s because they genuinely
care. They aren't thinking about what they’re going to say next, how it relates
to them and their life, and what tidbits of their own perspective they can add
to what the other person is saying. Their eyes don’t’ wander as they ponder
their next phrase or story or how they can relate how interesting they are
while the other person is still in the middle of whatever it is they’re saying.
To be fair, there are some conversations where this is appropriate, where the
need for a give-and-take type of conversation needs to take place, both parties
putting equal thoughts and effort into the conversation. But I’m talking about
what makes a good listener: someone who cares about what the other person is
saying and shows it.
There are times when a conversation, in traditional terms, isn't really appropriate. When there is something personal to relate and the
person doing the sharing needs simply to be listened to so that whatever is
going on with them emotionally can be conveyed to someone. They need to be
heard and feel as though they’re understood. Human connection is so important
for all of us. Not just women. Not just people of a certain age. All of us. The
desire for someone to fulfill our emotional needs is so strong and that is why
we share our fears, our secrets, our past, desires, ambition, happiness, and
anger. Even if our thoughts and feelings aren't ideal or aren't “what they
should be” it doesn't stop them from being our thoughts and feelings, no matter
how flawed. And to be able to convey our insecurities or annoyances or trepidation knowing that they our based in imperfections without being judged
or preached to or made to feel as though those thoughts are somehow wrong is so
valuable.
If I were to tell someone about a fear, no matter how
irrational, I wouldn't want the response to be - “hey, that’s stupid. You shouldn't feel that way” – “you need to be more confident” – “don’t worry so
much, you over-think things” – well that just makes me shut down. I no longer
want that person to know how I feel because they won’t allow me to feel it. I
wish I could take back what I told them so they can’t tell me it’s wrong. No
one can help their emotions. This is simply how I feel. And I want to be able
to talk about it and just have it be known without an unsolicited opinion or
critique.
There are people in our lives that give us the emotional
support we need and we go to them in times when we want to be heard and
understood and afterwards we are often left with a sense of having related to
someone, a remarkable feeling. The feeling that, with words, we can describe
the buzzings and whirrings and irrationalities of our mind and have someone
understand them. Well, maybe not always understand but at least be aware of, to
hear us.
I have people in my life that I always go to when I need to
talk. Not just so they can tell me what I want to hear but so I know that what
I’m thinking or feeling is perfectly OK and I’m still me and maybe they even
know me a little better than they did before. I don’t share personal things
about myself easily. If I begin to share and I can tell the person isn't really
all that interested, I’ll stop. If I’m interrupted in the middle of a speech
that involves effort on my part to share, I turn off. Game over. I make a
promise to myself not to make that mistake again with that person. Once, over
the phone, I started to tell someone a story about my sister, my favorite
person in the whole world, the most unique and wonderful girl I know, and was interrupted,
told that they had to go. After talking non-stop at a leisurely pace for 45
minutes, they suddenly had to go and I felt so stupid. I promised never to do
that again, that the privilege of knowing me better wouldn't be extended to
that person again. That may all sound very extreme or, I'm aware, even condescending but for someone who finds
sharing herself difficult, it’s a necessary defense mechanism. Self-preservation.
And I’ll forever be wary of people who strongly monopolize the conversation
almost every time we speak.
More positively, I’m always awed by people who share themselves
easily with others – their thoughts and interests and background and opinions.
People who talk as though what they have to say is interesting simply because
they are the ones saying it. No matter how trivial. It’s fascinating because
often it becomes true. Because they speak to you as if what they are saying is
vital to your knowledge, it actually becomes something you want very much to
know. I don’t have this innate sense of authority or self-confidence or trust
in other people or whatever it is that requires such freedom with feelings and
emotions but I love people who are capable of this.
However, I also really like those people who keep things
close to the vest. People that, once they've learned to trust you, surprise you
with their thoughts and feelings and obvious vulnerability. They open up and
because you know sharing is foreign to them, you feel truly privileged to be on
the receiving end. It’s nice to know these people who don’t share much or with
many. Their emotions are more precious and you begin to realize that you have
become one of these people for them, someone they can be themselves with
comfortably and without consequence.
It’s valuable to have these people in our lives but it’s also
valuable to try and be one of these people for someone else as well. Even if it’s
just one person who knows they can come to you and say anything.
-Age
No comments:
Post a Comment
There's always more to say about everything