Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Things I've Said While Teaching. Seriously.

Phrases I've uttered in my English classroom here in Bulgaria:

  • No drinking beer in class
  • Stop punching your friends
  • Let me smell that. Oh jeez. Rekia is for adults, not 11-year-olds.
  • You dropped your cigarettes.
  • Please put you clothes back on.
  • What's more important, English or what you're doing right now? ......Oh.
  • Please don't light your chair on fire....Really? Why? OK, because fire is hot and I don't want to die.
  • What just hit me? Oh! Free pen!
  • You want to know what "M*** F***" means in Bulgarian? Well, we have dictionaries in the back. Look it up.
  • Well, that was incredibly inappropriate.  .......Incredibly? Много  .....Inappropriate? Лош.
  • You haven't drunk beer in over a year? You mean, you're one year sober?!?! Well, bravo. Stay on the wagon, buddy. You'll want to start middle school with a clean slate. ...........Nothing.
I substitute taught in So-Cal for a couple years so my American version of this list would probably involve less alcohol but certainly more foul language and the occasional weapon. Ah, kids.

-Age

4 comments:

  1. :) I'll tell you a story of mine from America. I worked at a gift shop and had the night shift ending right after 12. I wanted to buy a 6 pack, but if I went after my shift they wouldn't sell me. My manager didn't let me go before, because it was forbidden to bring any alcohol in the store, no matter you're not gonna drink it. Anyways, I got used to beer or whatever early, so I have some when I feel thirsty for it :p ... My point is there certainly are some differences and it's only a matter of getting used. Nothing is really outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You haven't drunk beer in over a year? You mean, you're one year sober?!?! " ..or he means he switched to a higher gear - liquor :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if someone is prepubescent, some things can be outrageous. Like, a 5th grader bringing a bottle of rekia to school to share with his friends. Most of the things that happen in my class make perfect sense - just kids being kids and the lack of discipline allows them to be as ridiculous as they like. But some things are simply outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my God :DDD "What just hit me? Oh! Free pen!"
    I will be laughing at this quote for ever.
    It's really awesome answer. I can't stop laughing :DD

    "Please don't light your chair on fire....Really? Why? OK, because fire is hot and I don't want to die".
    I dunno but it's really ridiculous. Of course dying isn't fun, but the way that you are answering, saying, asking is awesome, it's like mix of important things with jokes and angry. =D

    ReplyDelete

There's always more to say about everything