Friday, April 6, 2012

Call Me Grimm (but don't really, I probably wont' respond)

My sixth graders are studying past tense in short stories and my counterpart asked me if I had a story I could recite for the class. I didn't. So I made one up. It went like this:

"Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess. She lived in California and was bored with her life. She wanted adventure. She wanted excitement. So she traveled to a far away land called Bulgaria. There she found a small school with many beautiful children and began to teach English. However, there was a group of evil students. They made the princess's life miserable. She came up with a plan. Every day after school the princess would go deep into the woods and spend one hour digging a giant hole in the ground. She dug and she dug and she dug and after many months and lots of hard work, the hole was finally ready. She told her evil students that they would be going on an excursion in the woods after school that day. She led them into the woods and as they neared the hole she told them she wanted to play a game. For this game they would have to close their eyes and follow the princess's voice. For possibly the first time ever, they did as they were told and when they neared the edge of the hole the good students from the princess's sixth grade class pushed them all in the giant hole where they were left to think about their evil ways. Then the princess and her sixth graders lived happily ever after. The end."

They enjoyed it.

-Age

(This fairy tale is 90% fiction. Only the evil and good students are real. There is no hole. I'm not a princess. And I would never use a shovel as a disciplinary tool.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

There's always more to say about everything