Saturday, September 11, 2010

Compassion By Any Other Name Would Smell As Sweet. Empathy, For Example.

There is a movement going on out there, a movement about the world we live in. A movement that discusses and debates the things we have that we do not need and the things we lack that are desperately needed. I recently watched a video made by RSA that addresses the fact that we have made progress since the Enlightenment but that progress has slowed, it’s even beginning to reverse in ways because we’ve never truly been able to define what makes us happy, what we really do need. We think we know and we pursue it, with gusto, in that general direction though happiness often eludes us and we’re left wondering why. I’m oversimplifying what is truly an amazing and insightful dive into the needs of our floundering modern global society – I suggest you take a look for yourself.



The RSA suggests that what’s missing is empathy. It seems simple and obvious enough but empathy isn’t something that’s being addressed in politics or education. Not as anything important anyway. We buy and sell without stopping to consider whether we should. We create rules that bind us, rules that become more important than end results. We do what we think we should, what a progressive society is supposed to do without taking a minute to ask whether or not it’s right.

I hardly ever stop myself before a decision and ask if it’s right. I just do what I’ve always done. I let habit and social norms guide my decisions and, unless I see an insightful and challenging video on youtube, I don’t question my choice or any of its influencing factors. But this world is ever-changing, constantly progressing and we need to be aware of, even in charge of, that change, guiding it in the right directions as opposed to being unknowably influenced and effected by its inevitability. We need to think about our choices and decisions and factor in more, promote empathy.

We each have a part to play in the promotion of empathy. We each have the responsibility to encourage questioning. Now that I write that I realize it isn’t true. Everyone does not have a part to play, not everyone has a responsibility. But everyone does have the opportunity. I have the opportunity to not simply teach my students English and help them improve their lives on an economic basis, I have the opportunity to shape how they interact socially, how they treat the world they live in, I have an opportunity to help shape their choices in a way that is positive and progressive. I will stop and ask what is right, I will seek the answers, collaborating with others, and I will share what I find.



I’m writing this as a simple rambling session. Writing and sharing to put my mind at ease, gather my thoughts that were running wild through my brain after watching this video and making me feel an uncomfortable pressure.  It’s a simple ramble about what’s going on inside my head, what’s always going on inside my head: the impact I’m making. I get so overwhelmed by the responsibilities involved with what this world needs. I don’t really even have the authority, resources, or brain-power to do all that much. I’m not starting a movement, I’m just going, “Hey! This sounds great, tell me what to do!” But no one tells me what to do, I have to figure that out myself.

I didn’t do much today in regards to the furthering of progress. I didn’t show or encourage empathy really and I didn’t stop to think whether or not the choices I was making were the right ones. Tomorrow. Tomorrow I’ll be more conscious of who I am and what I’m doing. Tomorrow.

I will be one of the few.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead

-Age

No comments:

Post a Comment

There's always more to say about everything