I’ve always considered myself to be independent but I’ve never really considered myself to be much of a leader. And I’m OK with this. Some people lead, others follow. I’m good at helping. Just tell me what to do and I’ll do it. No problem. So, being here in Bulgaria, in my own village is forcing me to consider myself in a new light and to embrace the leader in me that apparently must have always existed but never felt the need to make herself known as necessity had never required her skills. I have to step up, create ideas, encourage others to join in, and execute them…by myself. It’s slow-going right now but I see potential for the future. I may even come out of this whole Peace Corps experience a bit bossy. Yeah, that’s right, bossy.
Though the one aspect of my “followingness” that will be ever present is my tendency to literally follow others. I never know where I’m going or how to get there, I simply trust that those around me do and I blindly put all my faith in them and hope to arrive at my destination in a timely manner. And, most of the time, that’s exactly what happens. Some people thrive on being spatially aware and good with directions. I don’t. I’ve been to the post office in my village at least five times and I still hesitate when I’m walking down the street, “Now, is it this way or did I go too far? Crap. Did I just pass it? Oh, wait, no there it is, in the same spot it’s been for 50 years.” It’s silly.
Unfortunately, when I happen to be with someone who is also this way, getting lost and/or walking or driving entirely too far for no good reason, is inevitable. My friend, Katelyn, from my PST group is similar to me in this way. We went to Sofia and knew that we needed to be on the lookout for a certain street in order to eat at a Thai restaurant that she was really looking forward to. We walked for about a mile or so, chatting and walking, walking and chatting, and, before we knew it, we hit a dead-end. We weren’t looking for a street, we were too busy walking and chatting. We had to backtrack, call friends, ask people on the street. It was ridiculous. Honestly, if it wasn’t for that dead-end, we’d probably still be walking. I think we were heading North and it was about 2 months ago so I’m guessing we’d be in the Ukraine which I hear is lovely this time of year.
Anyway, forcing myself to become a leader is going to be a bit challenging I’m sure but I have a lot of great examples in my fellow volunteers and once I put some plans into action and see them turn into something, I’ll feel more encouraged. Plus, I have friends from back home recommending (and sending me cuz they’re awesome) all kinds of great books about teaching and leadership. I plan to educate myself like a true teacher would. Bring it on, Bulgaria!
-Age
Age!
ReplyDeleteLeaders aren't born, they're made!
Don't forget that!
You may not feel like a leader now but you might very well grow into that role down the line.
Sometimes those that are excellent team-players are the ones that make the best leaders.
Keep helping and reaching out to others. It's sounds like you're off to a great start already!
-Dean
Well, Dean, thank you very much and I like the idea that leaders aren't born, they are made!
ReplyDelete