We all, or at least the majority of us, have those special people in our lives that we are drawn to, who make us feel the most like ourselves when we are near them. No matter what is going on in our lives, simply being in their presence calms us and we feel at home. This may be family for some, friends for others but for those of us lucky enough to have a close bond with another human being, these people are irreplaceable and incredibly important. What would we do without them? Whither away probably.
Relationships are one of life’s most important aspects, I would argue that they are the most important part of living. How long would Robinson Crusoe have survived without the companionship and company of Friday? That novel is actually a perfect example of how important relationships are and what we should be willing to sacrifice for them. Crusoe would have given his life for his friend. As it should be.
Through the good times, our relationships are easy, fun, and relatively uneventful. Through the tough times, however, relationships are given the opportunity to grow. Just as God tells us throughout the Bible that trials and suffering are an important part of growing closer to Him, the same is true of us mortals here on earth. We cling to those we know will help us, encourage us, and keep our feet on firm ground and our relationships blossom as a result. We come out of the difficult period in our lives with an abundance that often overwhelms.
We don’t need wise words or long speeches about life-lessons, we just need ears to listen, hands to hold, and shoulders to rest our weary heads. And we need laughter. The kind of laughter that reminds us that life is still good even when it’s not. Like many, I’m the most at home when I’m laughing with those I’m closest to, feeling truly safe. Like the wise Dolly Parton once said, “Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion.”
Every time I feel like I need something to make me feel better or more important, whether it be a new pair of shoes or a Masters Degree, I have to remind myself that those things are, ultimately, not important. Not to say that we shouldn’t buy new things or further our education but we should not stake our identity or self-worth on “things of this world.” What matters is our connection to others. I often write about passion but it’s important to remember that the passion we feel towards people takes precedence over all others. Even passion for people we’ve never met but feel empathy for as we recognize we are not the only ones who suffer…or smile.
-Age


.jpg)
ah I love you age!
ReplyDeleteSimply beautiful...I'm talking about you. <3
ReplyDelete