The world is an imperfect place and will be until this world passes away. We cannot change that. Utopia is not an option. That doesn’t mean we can’t live to make it better. The world was created to change. To progress. Better for us to help that process along and look back on our lives with a smile knowing that we did all we could to help others. That’s what life is all about. And this is not simply my opinion, it’s a truth. We were created to help those less fortunate. It’s our job and we should take it seriously.
I’m not saying it’ll be easy, it won’t. Sometimes it will be really hard and we won’t want to but those are the times when our choice really makes a difference not only in the world but in our souls. We have been given so much. We are blessed beyond measure though we often forget within the monotony of everyday life. Helping others and offering ourselves as servants, yes, servants, is the best way to show thanks.

You may be thinking, “Hey! I’m less fortunate. People should be helping me!” I’m right there with you. I’m definitely less fortunate then many but I’m also not a fool. I live a very privileged life when compared to the world as a whole. Not to mention, people do help me, all the time. Even if it’s just lending a listening ear while I vent, putting in a good word with a potential employer, or simply calling to tell me how awesome I am despite the fact that I am already well aware of that fact. All of these things help me and make my life a little easier. People help you too, think about it.
Interesting fact: when a teacher suspects a student has lost motivation to perform to their potential due to lack of confidence in their ability, they will send that child to help in a lower grade-level. A fifth-grader who struggles to read and therefore refuses to practice, often times feels immensely intelligent when they help a Kindergartener pronounce the word “cat.” They are able to see how far they have come and that they are capable of progressing even further. They feel helpful and this in turn helps them. Hmmm.
There are innumerable opportunities to serve, some of which are listed right here on my blog (ie. Standupeightclothing.com) so there are no excuses for inaction. That goes double for me. The thing about this blog is it opens up so many opportunities for me to be a big, fat hypocrite. Feel free to keep me in check.
-Age

Let's drive by the corner where that guy is passing out money, and then go get something to eat. :)
ReplyDeleteage i really love reading your posts!!! when i read them i can totaly hear it comming right from your heart!!!!
ReplyDelete